Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simmons releases NEW SD1250 kit!
Just announced on Guitar Center and by Simmons, notice to me courtesy of Steve M., who is looking to buy a Simmons kit.

Description
Master your craft with the Simmons SD1250 premium 6-piece e-kit. The SD1250 includes a mesh kick drum, 12" snare and four toms. Housed in a distinctive drum shell design, the snare features a rimshot sensor and includes its own stand to get the angle just right. Each of the four toms are dual-zone to easily trigger alternate voices, while each dual-layered drum pad is tension-adjustable to accommodate for player preference. The SD1250 also features a custom sound library containing 750 sounds. These include a wide collection of world percussion and vintage electronic drums for additional creative inspiration. A great solution for acoustic drummers looking to transition to an electronic kit, the Simmons SD1250. Plus, the included Simmons Advanced App for iOS makes it even easier to customize your SD1250, recall and edit drum kits, or practice with recorded tracks. The app even includes a sampler to record new sounds, then import directly them into the module without having to use a computer. 

The Simmons Signature Sound Library is an expansive collection of the world’s most coveted drum kits and snares, recorded with the same world-class audio equipment made famous on classic albums. Simmons’ VAR technology offers many dynamic levels of drum recordings, resulting in true-to-life feel and sound. Samples are recorded multiple times to avoid the “machine gun” effect of simply repeating the same sample. Classic cymbals were recorded in stereo and have a long, natural decay for maximum realism.  The SD1250’s 750 sounds include a wide collection of world percussion and vintage electronic drums that rounds out the collection for creative inspiration.

Features

Drum Kit
  • 12" mesh snare, two 8" and two 10" dual-zone mesh toms
  • 6" mesh bass drum with non-slip stand
  • Two 12" dual-zone crash pads
  • 14" triple-zone ride cymbal
  • 12" hi-hat with variable pedal
  • Real snare stand allows complete customization and solid playing surface
  • Hybrid hex rack with solid, adjustable mounts provide non-slip mounting surface
Sound Module
  • Large and bright full-color graphic LCD and intuitive, easy-to-program user interface
  • 750 of the most sought-after acoustic drums, world percussion and vintage Simmons sounds
  • Bluetooth MIDI for wireless connectivity to smartphone, tablet or computer
  • Import samples to the sound module for expanded performance options
  • Record, create and edit your own samples and sets
  • Built-in performance mixer with on-the-fly mixing, pitch shift, shape parameters and more
  • Simmons Advanced app for iOS adds kit editing, sampling and more

UPGRADES that I can see ... 

-Snare, the SD1250 has no rubber  rim, they put the trigger next to the rim inside as the ‘rim shot sensor’. And it uses a CAT5 connector, not the standard 1/4” plug

-Tom Triggers, the triggers on the toms are now gray in color, not black

-Module, Simmons’ (?) own website says SD1200 has 764 sounds vs 750 for SD1250 ... most curious ....

-Kick, they include a kick head patch/sticker … probably got too many complaints from people who tore through the mesh head because of using the wrong beater type because they don’t ‘RTFM’ (Read The F’ing Manual)
“SD1200 expanded kit User, but modified to 8" & 10" mounted toms and 10" & 12" floor toms (one is a spare 'snare' on a stand)”
(10-29-2021, 02:13 PM)Lefty38-55 Wrote: UPGRADES that I can see ... 

-Snare, the SD1250 has no rubber  rim, they put the trigger next to the rim inside as the ‘rim shot sensor’. And it uses a CAT5 connector, not the standard 1/4” plug

-Tom Triggers, the triggers on the toms are now gray in color, not black

-Module, Simmons’ (?) own website says SD1200 has 764 sounds vs 750 for SD1250 ... most curious ....

-Kick, they include a kick head patch/sticker … probably got too many complaints from people who tore through the mesh head because of using the wrong beater type because they don’t ‘RTFM’ (Read The F’ing Manual)

How do you see a CAT5 connector? I don't see that in any of the images. And when Simmons claims a "trigger next to the rim inside as the 'rim shot sensor' ", does this mean that the Snare can now trigger three sounds (i.e. Head, rim shot and side stick)? Can you post a picture of the CAT5 Connector?
My Home Page: www.Hellfiredrums.com
Info - See here ... where I shamelessly 'stole' ...errrr. got all those details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PktO_Y2C4ts

Snare - Appears the 2nd zone is the rim shot trigger, me thinks just giving wider tonality to the mesh head, as well as the trigger sound? The poster does note one can't do a standard 'cross stick' sound, which personally I love for songs like the slow section of MacArthur Park or some power ballards.

Cat5 - See photo grab

“SD1200 expanded kit User, but modified to 8" & 10" mounted toms and 10" & 12" floor toms (one is a spare 'snare' on a stand)”
(10-29-2021, 02:58 PM)Lefty38-55 Wrote: Info - See here ... where I shamelessly 'stole' ...errrr. got all those details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PktO_Y2C4ts

Snare - Appears the 2nd zone is the rim shot trigger, me thinks just giving wider tonality to the mesh head, as well as the trigger sound? The poster does note one can't do a standard 'cross stick' sound, which personally I love for songs like the slow section of MacArthur Park or some power ballards.

Cat5 - See photo grab
That video is pretty good. Thanks for sharing the link.

That's strange about not supporting the 'cross stick' sound. The SD1200 has no issue with trigger a 'rim shot' (or a 'cross stick' if you program the trigger zone that way) sound and it's a standard dual zone trigger. I'm trying to figure out why Simmons went with the CAT5 connection and offset rim trigger. You would only do that if you had more the two sensors in a pad...???
(10-29-2021, 03:30 PM)Hellfire Wrote: I'm trying to figure out why Simmons went with the CAT5 connection and offset rim trigger. You would only do that if you had more the two sensors in a pad...???

Yes, I agree 100%. But maybe they're setting themselves up for that 'SD2400' you (we) keep dreaming about!
(10-29-2021, 03:33 PM)Lefty38-55 Wrote:
(10-29-2021, 03:30 PM)Hellfire Wrote: I'm trying to figure out why Simmons went with the CAT5 connection and offset rim trigger. You would only do that if you had more the two sensors in a pad...???

Yes, I agree 100%. But maybe they're setting themselves up for that 'SD2400' you (we) keep dreaming about!

That's what I'm thinking as well. The CAT5 not only would give Simmons the ability to have more than two sensors but, also the ability to have power at each trigger for something like a micro controller in each pad (to do more complex sensing). Seem odd to add it to a kit that doesn't need it however...

Unless the trigger pads are going to become more universal in the Simmons ecosystem. That way they don't have to come out with new triggers for each new higher functioning kit. Just thinking out loud.  Smile
No manual available online for it … yet, but there’s a good review of it on Guitar Center’s website!
(10-31-2021, 07:08 PM)Lefty38-55 Wrote: No manual available online for it … yet, but there’s a good review of it on Guitar Center’s website!

I'm not sure how helpful that review is. It doesn't state how the new sensor really helps when compared to the existing SD1200. All of his comparisons are based on the SD600 (and that's fine since that's what he has). I have both the SD600 and the SD1200 and I can say the exact same things about my SD1200 when compared to the SD600.

As for the manual. That is online if you go to https://simmonsdrums.net/simmons-sd1250-...esh-heads/

Scroll all the way to the bottom and you will find the pdf manual.

I did a quick glance but, didn't see any real explanation of the CAT5 connection or the new extra sensor. To be honest, it feels like the SD1200 manual with all the SD1200 text changed to SD1250.
A review - sort of - on the snare - not too much info, but shows the insides & location of the 2nd piezo:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f381nMe99EI
Well, the word is out ... major malfunction issue with the hi-hat due to some firmware change, where it won't recognize all hits. Hopefully they'll soon send out a patch to fix it.