Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High-Hat Setup, HH Foot Pedal Not Activating As Expected
Hi...I'm a newbie to sddrummer.com. Just got SD2000 kit; Issue: when attempting to use High-Hats (HH), I have to push really hard into the foot pedal to activate to open/close it for that classic "ssssshump" sound. The SD2000 foot pedal is sitting on rather plush carpet, so admittedly, there's some "give" when you press down on the pedal and its housing, however, there appears to be a lot more effort than need be . The SD2000 user's manual is useless in trying to solve this issue. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I tried to see if increasing sensitivity of HH/foot pedal made a difference -- but I must not be doing something right. Is there a standard "HH/foot-pedal syncing tutorial somewhere I can view? Any other resources to improve the function of the HH and foot pedal together? Appreciate any direction, recommendation(s) and comments. Thank You!
That's a tough one. I was just playing around with my hi-hat controller and I found that the higher the I set the Sensitivity the worse the controller functions. It functions so bad at the highest sensitivity settings that the pedal seems not to work at all. I find a setting of 16 to be the best for me. Anything higher the pedal doesn't track very well. I also have my Curve = Dynamic, and Splash Sensitivity = 08. I can't seem to get the hi-hat to splash on any other setting than 8. 

If those setting don't work for you, then you might have to give Simmons a call.

BTW, welcome to the forum!
My Home Page: www.Hellfiredrums.com
(02-05-2018, 11:17 AM)Hellfire Wrote: That's a tough one. I was just playing around with my hi-hat controller and I found that the higher the I set the Sensitivity the worse the controller functions. It functions so bad at the highest sensitivity settings that the pedal seems not to work at all. I find a setting of 16 to be the best for me. Anything higher the pedal doesn't track very well. I also have my Curve = Dynamic, and Splash Sensitivity = 08. I can't seem to get the hi-hat to splash on any other setting than 8. 

If those setting don't work for you, then you might have to give Simmons a call.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Hi Hellfire...Thank you for the reply and thoughtful comments. I apologize for not getting back to you before this and won't bore you with all the reasons why. I believe you're spot on regarding giving Simmons a call, as there doesn't seem to be any recommended "starting" settings for the Hi-Hat controller, or confirming default settings that work. I, too, was perplexed when I set Sensitivity higher, but things only went from bad to worse. For others experiencing the same issue(s), here's Simmons Drum support: Phone Support can be reached at (888)-621-4008. There's also a website contact form. I'm really disappointed in how good the drums sound, the quality of the SD1000 kit -- but the utter lack of detailed directions for adjusting and fine tuning controller settings -- not only for the Hi-Hat and foot pedal -- but for ride cymbal and other pads. Regardless, thank you for taking the time to help me. IMO, Simmons Drums should put out an addendum to their users/setup manual that provides in depth setup details for all their controllers for this kit and how to determine when you're getting close to the optimum setup -- similar to knowing how to tune your acoustic drums that D-drums stamps right inside their shells. Anyway, enough of my rant. LOL!
(02-04-2018, 04:10 PM)IguanaBob Wrote: Hi...I'm a newbie to sddrummer.com. Just got SD2000 kit; Issue: when attempting to use High-Hats (HH), I have to push really hard into the foot pedal to activate to open/close it for that classic "ssssshump" sound. The SD2000 foot pedal is sitting on rather plush carpet, so admittedly, there's some "give" when you press down on the pedal and its housing, however, there appears to be a lot more effort than need be . The SD2000 user's manual is useless in trying to solve this issue. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I tried to see if increasing sensitivity of HH/foot pedal made a difference -- but I must not be doing something right. Is there a standard "HH/foot-pedal syncing tutorial somewhere I can view? Any other resources to improve the function of the HH and foot pedal together? Appreciate any direction, recommendation(s) and comments. Thank You!

Hi Hellfire...Yes, it's been a little more than a year since you posted a nice reply to my hi-hat questions. It's taken nearly that long to refine the issues, which is why I'm getting back to you now. So, updating, we/I still have the hi-hat adjusting issues I mentioned a year ago. We switched out the SD2000 foot pedal to a Roland FD-8 foot pedal, which is more responsive -- but still doesn't cure the setting issues with the SD2000HH. I used to have a Yamaha DTX that was great - but it their forum supervisor helped me dial in perfect settings, along with details on how to adjust sensitivity, velocity, decay, threshold, open, semi-open1, semi-open2, etc module settings. I attempted to contact Simmons -- no response. Literally everything else about this SD2000 kit seems great, except the hi-hat/hi-hat foot pedal adjustment issues. Normally, when I'm playing out, I have a Pearl Birch acoustic kit, Sabian HH and Zildjian cymbals. Is there some way SD2000 support/techs can provide a "middle of the road" settings guide, with some type of detail on what adjustments to make for desired effects and fixes? I've seen other eDrum HH setups and played them -- no problem. Our lead guitar player bought this SD2000 set for me to use in our studio -- but he's in Florida half the year, and I'm stuck trying to figure out how to resolve the lagging foot pedal delays, the timing of the open/close HH cymbals, getting the desired sound/tone and combining all the mechanical elements to function properly. Someone at Simmons must have an idea of what settings work best and, if adjustment is required, the best steps to take to optimize the HH sounds. Any help, suggestions are appreciated. I'm so frustrated, I bought a Pearl cajon, as an option to use while we try to resolve this HH issue. Thanks in advance for any/all help. BTW... I heard Guitar Center bought Simmons, but when I talk with their drum department guys, they're more clueless than I am! Ugh!  Cool IguanaBob in Michigan.
(02-20-2020, 06:41 PM)IguanaBob Wrote:
(02-04-2018, 04:10 PM)IguanaBob Wrote: Hi...I'm a newbie to sddrummer.com. Just got SD2000 kit; Issue: when attempting to use High-Hats (HH), I have to push really hard into the foot pedal to activate to open/close it for that classic "ssssshump" sound. The SD2000 foot pedal is sitting on rather plush carpet, so admittedly, there's some "give" when you press down on the pedal and its housing, however, there appears to be a lot more effort than need be . The SD2000 user's manual is useless in trying to solve this issue. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I tried to see if increasing sensitivity of HH/foot pedal made a difference -- but I must not be doing something right. Is there a standard "HH/foot-pedal syncing tutorial somewhere I can view? Any other resources to improve the function of the HH and foot pedal together? Appreciate any direction, recommendation(s) and comments. Thank You!

Hi Hellfire...Yes, it's been a little more than a year since you posted a nice reply to my hi-hat questions. It's taken nearly that long to refine the issues, which is why I'm getting back to you now. So, updating, we/I still have the hi-hat adjusting issues I mentioned a year ago. We switched out the SD2000 foot pedal to a Roland FD-8 foot pedal, which is more responsive -- but still doesn't cure the setting issues with the SD2000HH. I used to have a Yamaha DTX that was great - but it their forum supervisor helped me dial in perfect settings, along with details on how to adjust sensitivity, velocity, decay, threshold, open, semi-open1, semi-open2, etc module settings. I attempted to contact Simmons -- no response. Literally everything else about this SD2000 kit seems great, except the hi-hat/hi-hat foot pedal adjustment issues. Normally, when I'm playing out, I have a Pearl Birch acoustic kit, Sabian HH and Zildjian cymbals. Is there some way SD2000 support/techs can provide a "middle of the road" settings guide, with some type of detail on what adjustments to make for desired effects and fixes? I've seen other eDrum HH setups and played them -- no problem. Our lead guitar player bought this SD2000 set for me to use in our studio -- but he's in Florida half the year, and I'm stuck trying to figure out how to resolve the lagging foot pedal delays, the timing of the open/close HH cymbals, getting the desired sound/tone and combining all the mechanical elements to function properly. Someone at Simmons must have an idea of what settings work best and, if adjustment is required, the best steps to take to optimize the HH sounds. Any help, suggestions are appreciated. I'm so frustrated, I bought a Pearl cajon, as an option to use while we try to resolve this HH issue. Thanks in advance for any/all help. BTW... I heard Guitar Center bought Simmons, but when I talk with their drum department guys, they're more clueless than I am! Ugh!  Cool IguanaBob in Michigan.

Honestly, without a video showing the problem you have, I doubt I can be any help.

Can you make a video of you playing the kit and pointing out what the issues are?

To be honest I'm starting to think you are just hitting limitations with the kit. Unfortunately not all companies have good hi-hat control and because of that many edrummers that have used higher end Yamaha or Roland kits in the past tend to never be happy with the hi-hats on more budget line kits.

To be honest the hi-hat control on these Simmons kits are very basic. And for that reason I don't know if many experienced drummers would ever have what they would consider "good hi-hat control" on these kit. I would classify these kits as have "usable hi-hat control".
My Home Page: www.Hellfiredrums.com