Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Memeber - typical ?
Hello All,

I'm about to buy a SD2000 after looking at reviews I was on the fence not knowing much about the kit but I've found a great looking left over demo I'll very likely pick up in the next day or two.   That said - I've yet to make noise with it.

The first review I watched was Drum65 and he really beat it up...but it's pretty clear he's not to into the look or creative aspects.

Of course the question I want to ask - Are the SD2000's holding up for folks?  Woudl you buy your SD2000 again?

I came across Hellfires YouTube of taking apart the snare and was very impressed...which lead me here.  The other kit I've got it down to is the Alessis DM10 Studio Mesh (NITB leftover)

I stopped drumming about a year ago because of wrist problems and sold my DW acoustic kit and thought I was done...but I miss it too much and have to have something to release the ya-ya's - probably just a few hours a week due to my wrist.

Things I like - The look, the tie to history, the creative options.
Things that concern me... well pretty much just quality - a tad on resale... sounds are subjective but I like what I've heard on youtube - I find every Roland kit (I play) to have great drum sounds, but the cymbals always sound weak to me (volume out of balance, even if I try to tune the controls) 

I like the Alessis and I'm sure I'd be happy with that kit, and the Yamaha's are fine, but lack the all mesh heads (in my price range)

...this one just seems "way" cooler - I really dig the Native kit Cool 

So - how are they holding up for folks?

Would you buy your SD2000 again?

Thank you - RLRR - RLLL
Cheers! 
Hwystar
(03-04-2019, 10:44 PM)Hwystar Wrote: Hello All,

I'm about to buy a SD2000 after looking at reviews I was on the fence not knowing much about the kit but I've found a great looking left over demo I'll very likely pick up in the next day or two.   That said - I've yet to make noise with it.

The first review I watched was Drum65 and he really beat it up...but it's pretty clear he's not to into the look or creative aspects.

Of course the question I want to ask - Are the SD2000's holding up for folks?  Woudl you buy your SD2000 again?

I came across Hellfires YouTube of taking apart the snare and was very impressed...which lead me here.  The other kit I've got it down to is the Alessis DM10 Studio Mesh (NITB leftover)

I stopped drumming about a year ago because of wrist problems and sold my DW acoustic kit and thought I was done...but I miss it too much and have to have something to release the ya-ya's - probably just a few hours a week due to my wrist.

Things I like - The look, the tie to history, the creative options.
Things that concern me... well pretty much just quality - a tad on resale... sounds are subjective but I like what I've heard on youtube - I find every Roland kit (I play) to have great drum sounds, but the cymbals always sound weak to me (volume out of balance, even if I try to tune the controls) 

I like the Alessis and I'm sure I'd be happy with that kit, and the Yamaha's are fine, but lack the all mesh heads (in my price range)

...this one just seems "way" cooler - I really dig the Native kit Cool 

So - how are they holding up for folks?

Would you buy your SD2000 again?

Thank you - RLRR - RLLL
Cheers! 
Hwystar

Hi Hwystar,

The SD2000 has held up well for me. I have not had any issues in the last year or so. With that stated I'm not a regular player these days.

I was just looking at the Guitar Center website (& Musicians Friend) and noticed the SD2000 is longer listed on those sites. Not sure what that means exactly, but I would guess Simmons might be discontinuing the kit? I don't know. Just a guess based on the websites.

If you can get a really good deal on the demo (and you have sat down to try it out), it might would be worth it.

Like I stated in the videos, the build quality of the drum pads and rack are great! I feel that Simmons stopped just short of really making this kit a show stopper. The cymbals are a bit stiff, but the good news is that Alesis Strike crash cymbals are compatible with the SD2000 module if you decide to upgrade those down the line. And the best part of that is the Alesis crash cymbals will work not only as dual zone with choke, but also and a three zone ride with choke on the SD2000's ride connection! (not a well known trick  Wink )

I also had okay results using the Go edrum hi-hat controller with the SD2000. So that might be an option down the road for a movable hi-hat if that is something you are looking for. 

I hope that helps.

HF
My Home Page: www.Hellfiredrums.com
Thank you Smile
I called Simmons today - indeed the SD2000 has been discontinued - it sounded like the company is trying to release a replacement, however the rep didn't sound too optimistic that it would be anytime soon.